Office 365 Migration Best Practices

With the end of Microsoft XP/Office 2003 many SMB are considering moving to a new platform, preferably one that allows for more collaboration in an increasingly mobile world. While some are considering ODF platforms, others may be more comfortable with a format they already (somewhat) know. The following article is intended to address some best […]

Not So Open Source…

When I first read this article on ZDNet about an Italian region whose government was undertaking a migration away from Microsoft Office to an open source software package called LibreOffice, I must admit I thought it to be a compelling business decision.  However, as I reread the article and began discussing with members of my […]

How to overcome Office 2010 migration challenges

Microsoft Office is by far the single most popular office suite of desktop applications used by organizations today. Its components (Outlook, Excel, and Word) have become essential for business productivity. Microsoft says that Office 2010 is the fastest-selling version of Office ever and that companies are deploying it five times faster than Office 2007. The […]

5 goals large enterprises can achieve with a Windows 7 migration

Careful planning and preparation is required for large organizations before going ahead with enterprise-wide operating system migrations. Today, IT managers worldwide are accelerating their efforts toward planning for and migrating to Windows 7. This particular operating system is a derivative of Windows Vista, albeit a much improved one, so the benefits are evident in terms […]

Questions to ask before a Microsoft Office migration

When it comes to Office migrations you need to be prepared. Migrations can be a complex processes, and without sufficient planning you may experience unwanted setbacks. The first step in any deployment project should be to ask questions, such as: How do we prepare? When it comes to Office migrations, there is a large amount […]

Best Features of Office 2010 for Enterprises

According to Microsoft, Office 2010 is the fastest selling version of Office ever.  In 2011, Microsoft declared that businesses were deploying Office 2010 at rates five times faster than Office 2007 during its first year on the market. There’s no doubt that Office 2010 brings some great features to its users. Below are some highlights […]

The New Math of Microsoft Office Compatibility

A recent article by Chris Jackson , Microsoft Office: The Mathematics of Office Compatibility on Technet Magazine made some arguments about the costs associated with a Microsoft office data migration that, in our experience, appeared counter intuitive. In the article Mr. Jackson provides the reader with figures for the cost of testing and fixing problem […]

5 Myths About Enterprise Migrations

As IT systems become an important competitive element in many industries, technology assets are influencing more and more parts of any organization. In our business development process, we all have encountered or heard false facts and myths about enterprise migrations. Here are some of the ones we dealt with:   Myth #1: We are a […]

The ROI of manual file remediation versus automated tools

In a previous article we discussed how you can effectively remediate files during an Office migration.  After migrating to a new version of Microsoft Office, users often have files pulling old data or linking incorrectly. Without identifying and fixing the files, business decisions are made on misinformation. Hidden file problems can result in significant errors, […]

Migration Planning: Mapping the File Landscape

When starting a major enterprise Microsoft Office upgrade, we always tell our clients that most of their files will upgrade just fine, roughly 90% will upgrade without issue. But that leaves 10% that won’t. It’s uncertain how many enterprises quantify how much these problem files will affect their migration. Most companies don’t know how many […]